Monday 16 May 2011

The Shiny Secretary

A reiteration of my 'Secretary' pencil skirt, this time made from a set of shiny old curtains. The back of the curtains are bonded to a peculiar white, slightly sticky material which made sewing a nightmare. The rubbery material insisted on sticking to both the feeddogs and presser foot, which made my fabric all crinkly. To get around this problem, I underlined the shell with a lavender-blue lining fabric, which made the sewing process so much easier!

Underlining the skirt meant that I was left with exposed seams, which I'm not a fan of. The lining fabric also ravels as soon as you even peep at it, so finish it off with a simple zigzag edge wasn't a great idea. I fixed this by making some bias tape from the remnants of my lining fabric, and finished the skirt with my first attempt at Hong Kong seams - you can see them in the photo below!
I've got a whole other curtain's worth of this strange, but lovely, fabric left, so son't be surprised when you see it popping up in other projects in future!

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing and so is this!!! Start pumping out pencil skirts for the shop bish ;) oh and make me a billionty

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're amazing! Skirts will have to wait til I draw up a few other sizes, but then you'll have a billionty! Or get Oly to make you one now...

    ReplyDelete