Wednesday 4 March 2009

Pile of Poo (Also Known As Cookies)

I'm not dead. Yet. I've simply been too much of a lazy bastard to post much. Blame the humidity. It's easy to blame the humidity for everything. Humidity can't do much about it except...be more humid. Which makes me uncomfortable. And then I blame it again. And it becomes a vicious cycle. Anyway, I'm now back in London, feeling surprisingly motivated to do...stuff. Stuff like, baking and sewing. Anything as long as it's not 'proper' work.

On Monday, the day we got home, I had the strongest craving for chocolate chip cookies as I was napping (does it still count as 'napping' if you've slept for 10 hours straight?). The craving was strong enough that I actually googled some recipes and made up a batch of cookies yesterday.

I might have googled some recipes, but it doesn't mean that I actually followed any of them. That would have been too much work. It would also have entailed getting the right ingredients. Instead, I simply substituted what I had for the stuff I didn't have, mixed them together, put them in the oven and hoped they didn't come out disgusting (tastewise, not lookwise. Lookwise, they look like turds with undigested nuts in them).

Pile Of Poo-kies

2 cups flour (I'm guessing it was plain flour, it was in the jar that said 'FLOUR')
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
100g chocolate chips
100g hazelnuts
125g butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 eggs

Mix the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chocolate chips and hazelnuts together in a bowl.
Mix the butter, sugar, honey and eggs together in another bowl.
Mix both bowls of stuff together.
Spoon them onto a baking tray and bake them for 10 - 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius. I baked mine for 12 minutes.

They turned out pretty brownie-like, I might add a couple more eggs to the mixture next time and just try to make them as brownies. I thought they might be gross but they're surprisingly addictive. I ate four straight out of the oven. Usually I don't eat much of something once I've baked it. I just like the baking, not the eating.
You might also want to try making smaller cookies, as I found them intensely dense (indensely?). Even a tiny bite requires plenty of mouthwork. Not in a bad way, I guess. It was pretty tasty chewing the chocolatey goodness. They made me think of Nuttella, if Nutella was baked into a cookie-shaped object.

Yesterday was also a good day for another reason. A very very nice boy bought me a pretty, brand spanking new sewing machine! It's supposed to be an early birthday present which probably means I'm not entitled to another present on the proper day, but I don't really care anyway. This has been the best present for a while. I'm gonna rape it.


No comments:

Post a Comment