Friday 8 October 2010

Love/Hate

A warning first - Marmite-haters, look away NOW! This post involves the usage and consumption of Marmite. 

I tend to approach cooking in much the same way I do most things - cutting and pasting, then crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. That was certainly the case when I hit upon my idea for this dish - roast chicken with a Marmite and treacle marinate. 

The marinate is easy enough to make up, but here's a recipe if you need it:

Marmite and treacle chicken
(for 6-8 pieces of chicken)

Ingredients
1 tbsp Marmite
1 tbsp treacle
half a lime

Directions
- Place chicken pieces in bowl or deep plate, add in Marmite and treacle, then squeeze the lime juice over it. Coat chicken in marinate and leave for at least 30 minutes.

- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. When it's preheated, place the chicken in a roasting tray, roast for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
I sliced up a couple of leeks and placed them under the chicken pieces, so they were roasting with the chicken. You can add other vegetables, or cook your veggies any other way you prefer. You'll end up with lots of savoury, rich, slightly sweet gravy when you take the chicken out of the oven. I cooked some quinoa to go with my meal, and poured some of that wonderful gravy over it. 

So, tell me, are you a (Marmite) lover or hater?

1 comment: