Thursday 27 May 2010

Tropical Lemon Drizzle Loaf

My friend H mentioned making a lemon drizzle cake last weekend, and since I was feeling in need of comfort baking, and also feeling like a bit of a copycat, I went ahead and bake myself one too. Since I had all* the ingredients on hand, it was an easy job, and all I had to do was combine the ingredients together. 

*Sorry, I lied a little there. I didn't have enough almond meal and was too lazy to go to the shops, so I simply made up the rest of it with grated coconut. Hence the 'tropical'. 

Tropical Lemon Drizzle Loaf (adapted from Baking Mad)

Ingredients
For loaf
200gm self-raising flour
120gm butter, melted
120gm caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
50ml fresh lemon juice
1 lemon rind, grated
1 tsp naking powder
1 tbsp cornflour
25gm ground almonds
25gm grated coconut

For glaze
100ml fresh lemon juice
150ml icing sugar

Directions
- Lightly grease a loaf tin, and preheat oven to 180c.

- Beat together the eggs, lemon juice, butter and grated lemon rind.

- In a separate bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder and cornflour together. Stir in almonds and coconut. Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet mixture, then stir well till combined.

- Bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. In the meantime, prepare your glaze by combining the lemon juice and sugar.

- Remove the cake from the oven, and while it is still warm, use a skewer to prick it all over. Slowly drizzle the glaze over the cake, letting it all sink in.

- Let it cool, and enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. I've never ever made lemon drizzle cake before but I had no idea you could put coconut in it! Now that I think of it, why not, it must taste so much more rich with it... Your outcome makes my mouth water, I might try it in the coming weekend, thank you :D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I actually have two huge packets of grated coconut to work through, so I'm trying to include them in as many things as possible! I hope your cake turns out awesome :)

    ReplyDelete